Friday, April 3, 2009

"Introducing the Book" Video

This was a very funny video! However, relates directly to a lot of people in society learning and struggling to use technology today. In school I have encountered many people who have a fear of computers and technology. I hear comments all of the time "I haven't had a computer for 30 years, why do I need it now?" I have a department member that I need to help him check his email almost daily and still doesn't know how to send an email! I also help another faculty member almost weekly put her lesson plans onto the schools L-Drive! She can't get the concept of Microsoft Word of saving the file with the proper date and opening up the correct drive to save it on! So this I can see what this video is getting at. In reality, the book was a big step forward in relation to the scroll and technology has soared to unforeseen hights. The sky is the limit with what can be done with technology. The only problem is getting everybody on board with this belief and open to the idea.

2 comments:

  1. How true!

    You explained, "I hear comments all of the time "I haven't had a computer for 30 years, why do I need it now?"" I hear you! Usually, I ask these individuals what car they drove 30 years ago and what car they drive today. This comaprison can get them thinking that times ahve changed (unless they have the same car!!)

    Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, Mike. My cooperating teacher always asks for help with fixing his layout, or typing something, etc. I, of course, don't mind helping him. It's just funny because it has become such an ordinary thing for me and part of my every day life.

    I agree, Dr. Luongo. Have we forgotten that once upon a time we lived without cell phones?! People got along fine without them then. And now, it seems we can't detach ourselves from those things. My, how things change!

    ReplyDelete